Friday, February 28, 2014

Life...

      Life... Life has been full of what seems like a constant downward spiral. I strayed away from my blog and from the world a bit over the last few years and lost quite a bit. It hasn't felt right to talk about things till now. I left Detroit EMS in August of 2012. This was the one job I honestly believed was suppose to be my cross to carry till retirement.

      When I was a young man I was taught that a job with a pension and health benefits was worth staying in one place to see things to an end... Society failed me. The world as I knew it had changed and I was no longer in control of my destiny, but was now a casualty of my own life's efforts. I was so over worked and I felt so underappreciated  that I had no choice but to resign and unplug from life. Oh ya, did I mention that for the last 2 years I worked for Detroit, I was also going to school full time to try and be a nurse? I was chasing Avery and her race schedule around MI, I was in school full time, and I was trying to keep up with the ever increasing demands of Detroit and its hardships. When I would get done working my 4 day work week, I would sleep for 14 hrs straight! Kim and the girls had been warning me that I wasn't the same person anymore and that it was just a job. Kim stayed out of my affairs when it came to my job and the city... Until I had become so caught up in things that I could no longer be happy with anything. I watched everything that I worked so hard for slowly leave my life. Things like; fun days of going for mountain bike rides in the woods with friends, filming sporting events and that awesome feeling of accomplishment due to gaining recognition for the videos that would be made, hanging out and playing video games, meeting up for a beer once in a while with friends, and all of the simple things that I would go and do with Kim and the girls. "Don't worry, brighter days will come", was all I could keep telling myself. I took on a new job working for a small EMS company, (Who shall remain nameless), all the while having this huge feeling of hatred for people and society as a whole. 

      I didn't realize how over worked we all were in Detroit and how deep peoples misfortunes had begun to make me have feelings of anger towards the very job I felt was the reason why God made me. Once I left, it took about 4 - 6 months to feel any kind of like towards humans again. and about a year away from the medical field to realize that I still did have a passion for helping people. I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me back up to the spring/summer of 2013. We had a family friend who needed our help, or did they??? Kim and I had many heated discussions and finally agreed to try and adopt a set of new born twin girls. By the time we actually went to court and set in front of the judge, the twins were about 4 or 5 months old. The judge granted us a Limited Guardianship! Thats great right? WRONG!!!!! After 6 months or so, & many problems with the birth mom and her family, we ended up back in front of the judge, in October. He decided to take the twins away from us. The same night. Without warning. When all we wanted to do was adopt them... The whole family had grown quite attached to the twins, so it was quite a blow.... Brighter days have to be coming, right!?

      After being without a job for the entire summer, (So I could help get the house and the twins into a routine), I went on the hunt for employment. My efforts landed me back in an ambulance again... I took a job for Universal Ambulance and thought it would be terrible. Once I jumped through the hoops and did all of the "new guy" crap, I was finally cut loose and working the streets. I realized that I still had it! I still wanted to work and help people. What I learned about myself was that I didn't need to be racing around the city, I didn't need to be in  the center of the action, what I needed was to simply evolve into the last leg of my career as a Paramedic. I am now the older, wiser Paramedic who just glides through my shift. I really miss the guys and gals I use to work with in Detroit, but the crew from Universal are also great and I can honestly say that I have found myself a home, at least temporarily while I finish school. Thats right, I want to go back, except I want to go to Macomb where I can take a year of classes and get my law enforcement certification and eventually get a job for DNR or law enforcement in a small town perhaps. (Or so I thought!)

    I recently was offered a job dispatching. I have no idea how to dispatch, but why not!?  I took the job and am now dispatching for the Michigan State Police, and LOVE IT!!! Now its time to get ready for 2014...

      I put some info together and Avery and I went out to try and successfully gain some sponsorship. WE DID! Avery has a few local businesses willing to help her through her 2014 season. That will really take the load off of the finances. I have to get caught up a bit then I can get our house fixed up and we can finally live in our house without feeling so frustrated. My truck was sold off so we need to get a second vehicle, one for hauling the bikes and family around in. I have a plan for that as well. We haven't been skiing yet this winter but I'm hoping to head out for a late in the season go at it real soon. We went to the local sledding hill a ton this winter and the girls even had a chance to make some new friends. 

      So far, it seems like 2014 might be the year to turn things around and get our family back into the things that make us all tick... Wish us a little luck!

No comments:

This is the story of Jim Liagre... My father.